Click here for the latest Quarterly Market Review (Q1 2018).
Currency & Coins – Did You Know That…
- The average life of a $1 bill is 18 months.
- The average life of a $5 bill is 15 months.
- The average life of a $20 bill is 2 years.
- The average life of a coin is 25 years.
- China was the first country to issue paper money – in 140 BC.
- Ben Franklin invented a process in 1793 to prevent counterfeiting paper money
- Prior to 1981, a penny was 95% copper. Today’s penny is 2.5% copper.
- The nickel is the only U.S. coin call by its metal content.
- The U.S. Mint prints currency, as well as medals for the armed forces.
- Grooved edges were used to prevent counterfeiting and clipping – cutting off some of the coin for the precious metal.